First off, congratulations! Adding a new member to the family is so exciting! Whether it’s your first baby or you’re bringing home a new sister or brother, there are so many sweet emotions with your little baby. Newborn sessions are such a wonderful way to celebrate and capture those emotions! If you’re unsure about booking your session, here are 5 things you need to know!
1. Newborn sessions should be done within the first 2 weeks. Babies are sleepier then and even though I’m not posing them like Anne Geddes, they’re still easier to work with when they’re that small and sleepy. This means that mama should be booking the session about 20 weeks in. I can book some sessions at the last minute but oftentimes that can be stressful trying to fit it in. Book your session early and if baby comes at a different date I am happy to work with you to change dates.
2. Schedule your session on an empty and clear day! The last thing you need is to feel stressed on the day of your session because you’re juggling too much. Pick a day far enough in advance that your husband can easily plan on having that day free to help and older siblings will be mentally prepared. If grandma is visiting, it’s always helpful to have an extra set of hands, especially if you have older children. Your newborn session can be easy peasy and stress-free, I promise!
3. Newborn lifestyle sessions are typically held in your home. Your home doesn’t need to be perfect to have a beautiful newborn session! I typically shoot in the family room, nursery, and parent’s bedroom. I will occasionally move things around and put them back before I leave. I promise I will make it look good with minimal stress on your part! Your house also doesn’t have to be perfectly clean. Tidy up the areas that we’ll be in and don’t worry about the rest!
4. It is okay if someone cries, whether that’s baby, siblings, or even you. Mama, you have just gone through one of the biggest events of your life, and your older babes have just had their whole worlds rocked with a new baby joining the family. Some kids are super excited about the baby, some are not. It’s okay! Those are both perfectly normal, and perfectly acceptable reactions! I will work with your little ones to see what they are comfortable with. Nobody does anything they don’t want to do at my sessions, but I will always capture images that show the love in your family and what your reality looks like.
5. Don’t let your fears and insecurities stop you from booking your session. Having a baby is incredible! Your body is incredible! Choose to celebrate your love and strength, your new baby, and your sweet family. Choose to capture the newness, the love, and the joy of welcoming a baby into your family. Your photos will capture a special moment that will be priceless in years to come.
Hey mama, I get it! I’ve been there and I know exactly how you feel. I promise that I am going to make your newborn session as seamless as possible. Just remember to book your session in advance and we’ll figure out the rest together.